Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Toy Stories!

We had a fabulous incursion on Tuesday. We learnt all about toys! The Preps and the Juniors worked together in mixed groups to explore toys from throughout the ages. We discovered that Mrs Fitt is the 'jacks' champion of St. Luke's. We learnt lots of interesting information about the history of toys and we were able to play many games that our parents and grandparents would have played when they were children. 
Thanks to Cynda and Barry from the History Box for an action packed and engaging session.  

We did some writing about our incursion - here are our discoveries and the things we enjoyed.

I learnt that toys are still fun when they are old. I discovered puppets are made out of clay sometimes because I made one out of clay. I enjoyed drawing on the rocks. I wonder why the tin toy robot falls apart? Alexa
I liked the puppets because they gave me lots of ideas. Campbell
I learnt who invented Thomas the Tank Engine and I enjoyed making the puppets too and in two days we can take them home and I liked the Ngaka Ngaka too. Naimh
I enjoyed doing the hula hoop. It was fun because it rocked around my body and it also went around my neck. Caitlin
I enjoyed making the puppets because it was fun and I enjoyed playing Ngaka Ngaka. Gracie
I discovered other old toys are from other different countries like Egypt and the Pyramids. Chantelle
I liked the puppets and the Barbies. It was fun. I loved another Barbie and playing with the toys. Sophie
I learnt the you can still play with old toys from the history. I liked when I dressed up as Gepetto it was funny that they all laughed. Simon
I learnt when I made my puppet that I can play with it when it's dry. Stephanie
I enjoyed making puppets because I love puppets. Ebony
I enjoyed the puppets because we got to make our own puppet. I enjoyed the Lego because you can make stuff like houses. Eva
I enjoyed making the puppets and making the rocks. Olivia
I discovered that everything was fun. I enjoyed doing Ngaka Ngaka with my friends. I enjoyed doing the puppets. I enjoyed going outside. Riley
I enjoyed drawing on the rocks because we got to keep them. I enjoyed playing with the spinning tops because they spin very fast. I learnt the Aboriginals have a game called Ngaka Ngaka which is like Noughts and Crosses. James
I enjoyed the puppets because I liked putting on the head. Hamish
I enjoyed the Ngaka Ngaka because we got to draw on the rocks and I can play Ngaka Ngaka and I enjoyed playing with the toys. Frances
I learnt that you don't need to call Noughts and Crosses, Noughts and Crosses you can call it Ngaka Ngaka. I enjoyed Ngaka Ngaka. I enjoyed the skipping because it was fun and it was a bit tricky. Patrick
I learnt who invented Thomas the Tank Engine and I enjoyed making the puppets too and in two days we can take them home and I liked the Ngaka Ngaka too. Naimh
The Aboriginal people have a game called Ngaka Ngaka which is like Noughts and Crosses. Elva
I enjoyed bowling because I knocked down three skittles. Joshua
I discovered a new game called Ngaka Ngaka and I loved playing Ngaka Ngaka and I learnt that it is an Aboriginal game. Joel
I learnt to play Ngaka Ngaka. I liked to make my puppet. We made stones. Declan


Preps talk to your families about ALL the toys and games you played on Tuesday. What is your favourite toy or game? Share with us!


5 comments:

  1. I loved playing elastics when I was a little girl and the card game snap with my Nana. I love that I now play these games with Alexa. Emma (Alexa's mum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved seeing the slideshow of the games you participated in. We enjoyed all those games as children. Our favourite games growing up were elastics and on wet days jacks. What a fun day at school! The Clements Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked to play with the Lego because we made a house. It was fun. Declan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had lots of fun! Olivia and I enjoy playing with Mr Potato Head and Barbies together.It brought back some great memories as I used to play jacks and elastics when I was little a long, long time ago.Olivia and Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have six brothers and sisters. We made up our own games using rolled up socks. We were allowed to play "ball games" with socks in our passageway. When my dad was a little boy, they made footballs from newspaper.

    Mrs Yore

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!